Breast augmentation with lift is a surgical procedure to enhance and reshape a woman’s breasts. Over the years, factors such as pregnancy, nursing and the force of gravity take their toll on a woman’s breasts. As the skin loses its elasticity, the breasts often lose their shape and firmness and begin to sag.
By inserting an implant behind each breast, surgeons are able to increase a woman’s bustline by one or more bra cup sizes. Breast augmentation along with a lift is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape the breasts (at least for a time).
If your breasts are small or have lost volume (for example from pregnancy) breast implants inserted in conjunction with mastopexy can increase both their firmness and their size.
Breast augmentation with lift can enhance your appearance and your self confidence, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal, or cause other people to treat you differently. Before you decide to have surgery, think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with your surgeon.
Use the interactive presentation below to view the before and after photos.
No Flash plugin? Click the button below to view the static presentation.
Beauty for life:
Enhancing your appearance with a breast augmentation and lift
A woman’s breasts often change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. These changes and loss of skin elasticity can result from:
- Weight fluctuations
If you are dissatisfied with your breast size and shape, augmentation with lift surgery is a choice to consider. Breast augmentation with lift can:
- Increase the fullness and projection of your breasts
- Improve the balance of your figure
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
Also known as augmentation mammoplasty, the procedure involves using implants to fulfill your desire for fuller breasts or to restore breast volume lost after weight reduction or pregnancy.
Also known as mastopexy, a breast lift raises and firms the breast by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour. Sometimes the areola becomes enlarged over time, and a breast lift will reduce this as well. A breast lift can rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is youthful and uplifted.
Is it right for me?
Breast augmentation with lift is a highly individualized procedure and you should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image. Breast augmentation with lift may be a good option for you if:
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts are too small
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing shape and volume after pregnancy, weight loss, or with aging
- Your breasts vary in size or shape
- One or both breasts failed to develop normally
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts sag, have lost shape and volume
- Your breasts have a flatter, elongated shape, or are pendulous
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease
- Your nipples and areolas point downward
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas
- One breast is lower than the other
What to expect during your consultation
The success and safety of your breast augmentation with lift procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You’ll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires, lifestyle and expectations.
Be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
- Family history of breast cancer and results of mammograms or previous biopsies
Dr. Foley may also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts, and may take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, placement of your nipples and areolas
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of breast lift surgery and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your breast lift
Preparing for surgery
Prior to surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Get a baseline mammogram before surgery and another one after surgery to help detect any future changes in your breast tissue
- Stop smoking well in advance of surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Special instructions you receive will cover:
- What to do on the day of surgery
- Post-operative care and follow-up
Dr. Foley will also discuss where your procedure will be performed. Breast augmentation with lift surgery may be performed in an accredited office-based surgical center, outpatient ambulatory surgical center or a hospital.